Here’s a few things you might like to know about me. I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I am a Salvationist. The Salvation Army is my spiritual home. Additionally, I am a husband, a father of two children, and a grandfather. Family is my second priority after my faith in Christ. In 1970, my wife and I graduated from Asbury College. At the University of Kentucky I studied and received a masters degree in 1972 and a PhD in 1975, both in Social Psychology I am a retired professor of social psychology and a former college and university President. I am also a life long student of Wesleyan theology.
I served for forty years in higher education, sixteen of those years teaching and doing research at the University of Kentucky, Arizona State University, and the University of Hawaii. Then I served ten years as a Chief Academic Officer (Vice President and Provost) at Gordon College and Greenville College. For the last fourteen years I was the president of Booth University College in Winnipeg, Manitoba and Trinity Western University in Langley, British Columbia.
Now I spend my time with my grandchildren, cooking with my wife, reading and writing, speaking at conferences, seminars, and institutes, and preaching as well. I am interested in the synergism of social psychology and Wesleyan theology. In particular, my reading and writing focuses on practical matters of living and walking in holiness, mentoring others, and in the words of John Wesley, “Spreading scriptural holiness throughout the land.” My favourite passage of scripture lately is Ephesians 3:16-21.
Below you can find some of the activities I’m presently engaged in and positions that I am honoured to hold. They include:
- Member of The Salvation Army Academic Advisory Committee, College for Officer Training, Suffern, New York.
- Chairman of the student scholarship endowment sub-committee for the $65,000,000 Asbury University Ignited Campaign.
- Member of the Board of Directors, Serving Alongside International, an international missions agency devoted to training indigenous pastors in the Global South.
- Lecturer for The Salvation Army’s National Brengle Holiness Institute, Chicago.
- Member of the Advisory Council for The Salvation Army’s Center For Holiness Studies, Keystone, Florida.
- Co-editor of Word & Deed, The Salvation Army’s scholarly journal of theology and ministry.
- President Emeritus and Senior Fellow, Trinity Western University, Langley, British Columbia, Canada.
- Member of the national steering committee for the Wesleyan Holiness Consortium.
- Member of the steering committee, Asbury University Growing Saints Conference.